Woman on bridge smiling

Meet a Science Grad: Charlotte Soderberg

By College of Science

The following interview is part of a series the College of Science conducted with some of our alumni. While their experiences and career paths vary widely, their passion for science and love for the College and OSU tie them together.

Charlotte Soderberg

Major: BioHealth Sciences, minors in Chemistry and Public Health (’16)
Additional Education: Doctorate in Pharmacy, Oregon State University/ Oregon Health and Sciences University (’20)
Occupation: Clinical Pharmacist, PacificSource Health Plans

Why did you choose to study at OSU?

Mentors that I had in high school spoke highly of OSU’s and Oregon Health and Science University’s joint Doctor of Pharmacy program. They encouraged me to attend OSU for undergraduate studies and were confident that it would help set me up for success as a pharmacist.

What led you to choose your major and career path?

I knew that I wanted a career that would incorporate chemistry, anatomy and biology, while also using “soft skills” like teamwork, interpersonal communication - and problem-solving. I found that the role of a pharmacist encompassed all of these things and more.

How did the College of Science prepare you for your future career?

The College of Science helped me develop problem-solving skills, fostered independent critical thinking, taught me how to interpret data, and provided role models. Most of all, it prepared me to be a lifelong learner.

Describe your career? How are you making a difference?

The work of pharmacists is important because we strive to ensure patients receive the most appropriate medication therapies possible.

What might people be surprised to learn about your profession?

A pharmacist does so much more than count pills! The scope of our practice is growing every year. There are many different fields that pharmacists can work in. for example, I am a managed care pharmacist. Each day, I use my foundation knowledge and experience from the College of Science, along with clinical knowledge and experience from the College of Pharmacy to make decisions that impact patients’ care.

How were you involved in the OSU community?

I worked at the Writing Center and was a Learning Assistant for Principles of Biology, the Advanced Human Anatomy, and Physiology courses.

What is one favorite College of Science memory?

My favorite memories were the long nights spent studying with classmates and forging friendships.

If you could give a future College of Science student advice, what would it be?

Take advantage of opportunities to try new experiences! Exposing yourself to new experiences is the best way to find what you are most passionate about.