Samantha Lewis in a blue shirt and glasses with dark background

Meet a Science Grad: Samantha Lewis

By College of Science

The following interview is part of a series the College of Science conducted with some of our alumni. While their experiences and career paths vary widely, their passion for science and love for the College and OSU tie them together.

Samantha Lewis

Major: Zoology (’08)
Additional Education: Ph.D. in Genetics, Genomics, and Bioinformatics at University of California, Riverside (’13)
Occupation: Assistant Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology at University of California-Berkeley

Why did you choose to study at OSU?

I liked that there were very strong programs in biological sciences, as well as physical sciences and engineering. It promoted a lot of synergy and made it easier to see real-world scientific impacts.

Describe your career. How are you making a difference?

After graduating from OSU, I went to graduate school and then completed postdoctoral training. Now, I'm a professor, and I have the privilege of teaching the next generation of aspiring scientists in the classroom and in the laboratory. I hope to foster curiosity, diligence and enthusiasm among my students, which they can take with them into a variety of fields: industry, government, academia and beyond as citizen-scientists.

How were you involved in the OSU community?

I performed research all four years as an undergraduate, and I was also on the Women’s Rowing team my freshman year!

Was there a particular professor or advisor who made an impact in your undergraduate career?

Professor Dee Denver (Integrative Biology) had a huge impact on me. I realized that I wanted to be a professor after doing research in his lab. We're still in touch 15 years later!

What did you do for fun to de-stress from schoolwork?

Hiking with my boyfriend (now husband).

What advice would you share to current College of Science students?

Seek out ways to interact with and learn from your professors outside of the classroom. I learned as much doing research as I did in class.